Spot-Dots™ Finessing Instructions
Clear coat defect repair finessing instructions
Tools and Supplies Needed
- Spot-Dots™ film finessing disc.
- Micro-Fine Oscillating Finessing Sander: Pneumatic or cordless with hook attachment system
- Spot-Pad™ – 1.25” with PSA/loop backup pad - #SP-3776-1956
- Hydro-Marker Pen – water soluble marking pen - #02-0103-0321 white
- Black for lighter colors, white for darker colors - #02-0103-0322 black
- Spray Bottle with a 30% isopropyl alcohol 70% DI-water solution
- Polish-It™ Polish - #JES-800 - Material safety data sheets available upon request
- Finish-It™ Swirl Remover - #JES-900 - Material safety data sheets available upon request
- Optional step for darker colors and sensitive topcoats
- Absolute swirl, haze and hologram remover…not a filler
- Random Orbital Buffer with 3” hook face - 032001 - 10,000 rpm
- and/or Rotary Geared Buffer with 3” hook face pad - #032401 - 3,000 rpm
- Spot-Buff™ 3” orange foam polishing pads - #SB-0325-2648
- Micro-fiber Towels – Clean Seamless and Tagless (3 colors)
- Seams and tags will scratch sensitive top-coats.
- Mini LED Magnifier Loupe Microscope - to help identify types of defects and sources of dirt.
- Clean part using a clean seamless micro-fiber towel and a 30% isopropyl alcohol 70% DI-water solution.
- Inspect part and mark defects using a water-soluble Hydro-Marker Pen.
China Markers are full of wax that builds up on the surface of the Finessing Disc and substantially reduces disc life. Marks from the Hydro-Marking Pens dissolve while damp-moist sanding…extending disc life.
Step 1: Level-Sanding the Defect
Attach Spot-Pad™ (loop side) to the front of the oscillating sander’s arm hook attachment.
Center and attach one Spot-Dot™ Finessing Disc to the PSA side of Spot-Pad™.
- Apply a drop of DI-water to the defect.
- Add a few drops of Shackle’s “Basic-H” to the water or use “Windex” instead of water to reduce loading and extend disc life.
- Sand in a circular motion using moderate pressure for 2-4 seconds. A slurry will form as the Spot-Dot™ removes the defect. Remove sanding residue with a clean micro-fiber cloth.
- Inspect, and repeat step 1 if the defect is still visible.
- The Oscillating Spot-Sander helps the Finessing Discs last longer and generates a finer finish than a mini-orbital sander.
Do not over sand (which can lead to cut-throughs or burn-throughs)
Step 2: Polishing
- Apply a pea size amount of Polish-It™ (JES-800) to the sanded area.
- Center and attach the Orange Spot-Buff™ to the buffer’s backup pad.
- To avoid polishing swirls, haze or “holograms” an orbital polisher should be used
- Buff over and around the sanded defect in a 3.5” to 4” diameter area for about 8 to 12 seconds to remove the sanding marks.
- Initially compressing the orange foam polishing pad approximately 50% using medium pressure. Release pressure gradually as the shine re-appears
- Spray the polished area with a solution of 30% isopropyl alcohol / 70% DI water solution. Wipe the polishing compound residue from the part using a clean seamless micro-fiber towel.
- Inspect part and repeat Step 2 if sanding marks are still visible.
Step 3: (Optional)
- If small polishing swirls, haze or holograms are present (typical with darker colors), using a separate polishing pad for this step to avoid cross-contamination, apply a pea size amount of Finish-It™ (JES-900) to the center of the polished area and buff using moderate pressure.
- Spray the polished area with a solution of 30% isopropyl alcohol / 70% DI water. Then wipe the polishing compound residue from the part using a clean seamless micro-fiber towel
Step 4: Inspection of the Surface (Final Step)
Clean part using a clean seamless micro-fiber towel and a 30% isopropyl alcohol 70% DI-water solution.
- Inspect part and repeat previous steps if necessary.
- It is best to use separate color micro-fiber towels for each step of the process to eliminate cross-contamination of polishes and cleaning solutions which will cause “polish smearing” or small streaks on the parts.
- Use a separate polishing pad for each of the polishes to eliminate cross-contamination.
Like what you see and what to know more?
Evaluation of Instructions: User is solely responsible for evaluating these products and concluding if it is fit for user’s intended purpose.
Precautions: Avoid inhaling dust or vapors. Use adequate ventilation. Do not swallow products. Keep away from heat and flame. Use adequate protection to avoid contact with skin and eyes. Wash thoroughly after handling products mentioned in instructions.
Limitation of Liability: Ally Finishing Solutions, LLC will not be liable for any damages or loss as a result of using any of the tools and/or supplies mentioned in these instructions.
KEEP ALL CHEMICALS & TOOLS OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
Warranty and Disclaimer: Unless a warranty is stated on the products mentioned in this presentation, Ally Finishing Solutions, LLC makes no other warranties or conditions.